Spring is a joyful and difficult time for gardeners. There is a lot of trouble for growing seedlings, sowing seeds in the ground. And strawberry lovers often have a question about how and where to place a delicious fragrant berry. Gardeners do not always have large areas. And I want to grow a variety of plants in the country. It is difficult to put the gardeners into a dead end, they come out of any situation as winners.
So, with the planting of fragrant strawberries. If there is not enough space on earth, you can start growing strawberries in boxes on the street. Beginners are often interested in what kind of packaging can be planted plants, what soil should be used, what are the features of care.
Advantages and disadvantages
Gardeners often planted strawberries in various boxes, in buckets, large flowerpots.
What are the advantages of such a landing:
- Small boxes and buckets are mobile "beds" that can be rearranged at any time to a new location.
- In autumn, such structures can be placed in a greenhouse or on a window, balcony.
- Berries do not touch the ground, they are less sick.
- Pests living on the ground (mice, slugs, snails, bears) can not get to the roots and leaves.
- Picking berries is a pleasant thing, because you don’t have to “bow out” before each berry.
Some of the disadvantages of growing strawberries in boxes and buckets can not be silent. First, it is difficult to regulate watering. Secondly, if the boxes are wooden, then the lifetime is limited. Thirdly, increased requirements for soil fertility.
Strawberry planting container
To grow strawberries on the street, you can take any boxes. They can be made of wood, plastic. You can use ready-made boxes in which products are delivered to the store. In wooden and plastic containers already have holes for planting seedlings. Some gardeners use old buckets, because they still have to make holes.
And how do you like this option to use items that go out of fashion. One would like to say in verse: things were kept in it before, but now strawberries are growing. Old chest of drawers (pictured below) has become a unique garden bed.
We prepare the soil
Strawberries are developing rapidly, after the first flowering and fruit formation, a second wave is soon coming. It requires fertile ground for growth. To grow strawberries in boxes and buckets, you need to prepare the soil, following the rules:
- At the bottom of the tanks must lay out a layer of drainage (up to 25% of the volume of the bucket or box) to avoid stagnation of water. Otherwise, the root system will rot, causing the strawberry to die. In addition, the drainage cushion passes oxygen, necessary for the harmonious development of plants. Most often use crushed stone or gravel.
- Strawberry loves fertile, loose soil. Be sure to add sand with large fractions. It is mixed with soil. Due to the presence of sand gas exchange will increase, which contributes to the rapid growth and development of strawberries. You can not take the land in the place where strawberries used to grow.
- Peat, wood ash should be added to the soil. If the soil does not have enough nutrients, in the boxes and buckets of the plant can stop in growth. Naturally, the berries will be small and tasteless.
- Since the repair varieties of strawberries are most often grown in boxes and buckets in order to get crops several times a season, it is necessary to make nitrogen and ammonium fertilizers before planting. Some gardeners, before planting strawberries, add carrot and beetroot, ground in a blender, to the bottom of the strawberry as a source of sugar. In their opinion, the plants root better.
- Since garden strawberries often suffer from blackleg, the soil must be disinfected by watering it with boiling water with dissolved manganese crystals.
- Prepared soil spread in planting tanks and watered with clean water.
Strawberry planting rules in boxes
When planting strawberries in boxes use the single-line method. The well is filled with water and seedlings are placed in the resulting dirt. The roots must be straightened. Sprinkle dry earth on top and gently press the plant. If this is not done, there will be no close contact with the ground, this will adversely affect rooting. Check whether the plant sits well in the ground is simple: slightly pull the leaves. If the bush did not budge, then planted by the rules.
Before planting, rootlets are cut from seedlings, leaving from 5 to 7 cm. This technique provokes the rapid development of lateral roots. Landings need to be watered and multiplied again.Attention! Plant strawberries need to properly, without deepening the point of growth.
Features of plant care
Dilution of strawberries in various containers is used by many summer residents. They note that special differences in the care of strawberries are not marked. Planting need to weed, loosen the soil, water and feed.
Although there are nuances that need attention:
- Difficulties may occur when watering plants. Soil in wooden or plastic boxes dries faster than on ordinary ridges.
- Because strawberries have limited space, plants quickly select nutrients. Strawberries should be fed more often, especially for remontant varieties after the first wave of fruiting.
Most gardeners grow strawberries in boxes. This is the most convenient container, besides you can use ready-made options or make the boxes yourself. You can plant seedlings on one or both sides, as in the picture.
How convenient are the boxes:
- Strawberries can be grown in such a container on a firmly fixed basis or suspended.
- Using plastic or wooden boxes of different sizes, you can build pyramids from them. Such designs attract the attention of gardeners who want to see beauty in their garden.
And how do you like this option of using boxes for strawberries. Three boxes placed on each other, the plants look out of the cracks between the boards. Each layer is mulched with straw.
If you want to plant plastic strawberries in the garden strawberries, use not only store containers, but also containers from fruit and vegetables. Although in them the soil dries faster, but it heats up better. Plants feel comfortable.
An interesting video about the garden fence with strawberries:
No less interesting option, saving the land in the country, are buckets. You can use old buckets from any material.
Planting in such containers will depend on the method of growing strawberries. Gardeners use different options:
- freestanding buckets;
- collected in a pyramid. The most attractive looks buckets collected in an amazing cascade, as in this photo.
- suspended on rings or chains.
Used option can cause difficulties when watering. In addition, in such buckets the soil dries out much faster than in boxes. Due to the large weight of the container, the rings or chains can fly off, so you need to take care of a secure mount. Although the method used saves the maximum area of the site.
How to apply buckets:
Let's sum up
Growing strawberries is a kind of hobby that at any time can become an idea for business. As a rule, they study in small areas, gain experience. Today, many gardeners get big yields of strawberries, even in small areas in buckets, boxes, and flowerpots.
Watch a video about one strawberry enthusiast: