Even from the name of this spicy sauce, you can understand that it came from hot Georgia. Tkemali sauce from plums is a traditional dish of Georgian cuisine, it is prepared with the addition of a large amount of spices, spices and herbs. Tkemali is good for health, but only those who have no stomach problems can eat it, because the sauce is quite spicy. The traditional recipe tkemali involves the use of Georgian plums of red or yellow color, their variety is also called tkemali. Today, the recipes of the sauce are very diverse: instead of plums, you can use any berries (gooseberries, currants or thorns), and Georgian mint (ombalo) is replaced with regular mint or does not add it to the dish. Sour tkemali is especially tasty with poultry, but it is eaten with fish and meat, added to pasta or pizza.
How to cook tkemali, the differences between the recipes of this sauce, you can learn from this article.
Recipe tkemali from plums for the winter
Sauce tkemali of plums, prepared according to this recipe, will not be ashamed to treat the most fastidious guests. It will be great to combine with kebabs, barbecue or chicken ham, as well as with homemade meatballs or chops.
When cooking tkemali for the winter you need to stock up on such products:
- 1.5 kg oblique plum;
- a head of garlic;
- ten spoons of sugar;
- two tablespoons of salt;
- a teaspoon of ready-made seasoning "Hmeli-Suneli";
- 50 ml of vinegar.
To start plums need to be washed, several times changing the water to clean. Now, the bones are taken out of the plums, and the garlic is peeled. Plum wedges together with garlic are passed through a meat grinder.
Cooked mashed potatoes, add spices, sugar and salt. Now they put mashed potatoes on the fire and continuously stir until the plum leaves juice. After that, you can stir only occasionally, so that the sauce is not burnt.
Boil the mashed potatoes on low heat for about an hour, add vinegar at the end of the process, stir and turn off the heat. Roll the sauce into sterile half-liter jars, after which they are wrapped in a warm blanket.
Tip! It is better to use a fine sieve for the meat grinder for preparing the tkemali sauce for the winter, otherwise the particles will be too large. The consistency of the finished sauce should resemble plum puree.
Delicious classic tkemali plums
For the preparation of traditional tkemali sauce from plums for the winter, you will have to find a real Georgian plum and marsh mint. Ombalo mint does not grow in our strip, but it can be found in dried form or ordered through the online store of spices.
Tkemali plum sauce is sweet and sour, very fragrant and tasty - like all Georgian recipes.
800 ml sauce will require the following ingredients:
- Georgian plum - 1 kg;
- tablespoon of salt;
- two and a half spoons of sugar;
- 3-5 cloves of garlic;
- small pods of chili;
- fresh dill - a bunch;
- Georgian mint - bunch fresh or handful dried;
- a small bunch of cilantro;
- dried coriander - a teaspoon;
- just the same suneli (fenugreek).
When all the ingredients are collected, you can do the preparation of a classic sauce:
- Plums need to be washed and put into the pan. There add half a glass of water, put on fire. Cook over low heat until the peel starts to separate from the drain.
- Boiled plum is mashed, grinding it through a metal sieve or a small colander.
- The resulting mixture should be boiled over low heat. Then pour dry spices.
- Fresh herbs are washed and finely chopped with a sharp knife, then also added to the sauce.
- Chili pepper is cut as small as possible and added to mashed potatoes, garlic squeezed through a press is put here, and the mass is mixed.
- Lay out the delicious sauce tkemali in banks and roll them in the winter, using sterile caps.
Traditional Georgian recipes are distinguished by their sharpness, so those who do not like spicy foods are advised to reduce the dose of chili or remove this ingredient altogether from their dish.
Tkemali from yellow sour plums
Of all the recipes of the sauce can be distinguished tkemali prepared from yellow plums. Plums must be sour and not overripe, otherwise the finished dish will be like jam, not spicy sauce.
In the winter to feast on delicious sauce, you need to take the following ingredients:
- kilogram of yellow plums;
- half a pound of sugar;
- third of the salt pile;
- 5 cloves of garlic;
- small pod of hot peppers;
- a small bunch of cilantro;
- as much dill;
- half a teaspoon of ground coriander.
Preparing the ingredients, start to work:
- Plums wash and remove bones from them.
- Grind the plums with a meat grinder or food processor (for small portions, you can use a blender).
- Add sugar and salt in puree and cook it on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Allow the mass to cool slightly and pour chopped greens and spices into the sauce.
- Aromatic tkemali is laid out in small glass jars, previously sterilized.
The sauce will turn yellow, so it will be advantageous to differ on the background of red ketchup or adzhika.
Tkemali recipe with tomatoes
You do not need to use traditional recipes, you can add tomatoes to the dish. It turns out something between tkemali and ketchup, the sauce can be eaten with pasta, kebab and other homemade dishes.
Products for tomato and plum sauce:
- 1000 grams of tomatoes;
- 300 g plums (you need to take unripe plums, they will give the sauce the necessary acidity);
- hot chili peppers;
- large head of garlic;
- half a teaspoon of ground red pepper;
- salt spoon;
- spoon ground coriander;
- 250 ml of water.
Cook this tkemali a little longer than usual. We'll have to go through these stages:
- Tomatoes are washed and cut each into four parts.
- Pour some water into a saucepan and stew the tomatoes there for about 30 minutes, until the skin is separated from them.
- Boiled and cooled tomatoes fray through a fine metal sieve.
- Bones are taken out of the plums, peeling garlic and chili pepper. All the ingredients are passed through a meat grinder.
- Pureed tomatoes are poured into mashed plums. Everything is mixed with herbs and spices.
- Cook the whole spicy sauce over low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring continuously with a spoon.
- Now you can lay out the finished tkemali in sterile cans and roll up the lids for the winter.
Tip! For the preparation of various sauces, it is better to use a wooden spoon, since the metal is oxidized under the influence of acid from fruits and vegetables.
Tricks in cooking tkemali
Especially delicious dishes are obtained from those who know some cooking secrets:
- it is better to take immature plums, they are sour;
- dishes should be enameled;
- fresh greens are not put into a boiling mass, the sauce should cool slightly;
- garlic and hot pepper must be chopped very carefully;
- Tkemali in the uncorked bank is stored no more than a week, so the size of the jars for sauce is chosen based on the needs of the family.
If everything is done correctly, the tkemali will turn out spicy and very fragrant, this sauce will become a reminder of summer and sunny Georgia. A big plus of the traditional recipe in the absence of vinegar, thanks to this dish you can treat children and those who suffer from gastritis. And also, in sour plums there is a lot of vitamin C, tkemali will be an excellent help in maintaining immunity in cold winter.